Saturday, August 1, 2009

Pain in the Neck

So.... I got some bad news yesterday. I have to admit though, I knew it was coming, and I have known for a long time.

About a year ago, I found a lump on my throat. At first I though it was just part of my neck, but it seems to have gotten bigger over the past year, so I finally went in to have it checked, and sure enough, it isn't supposed to be there.


Okay, this picture is kind of sick, but it totally illustrates what's going on. I have Papillary Thyroid Cancer. I meet with my doctor again next Wednesday to discuss surgery and what to expect. Here is a little preview of the potential game plan:

♥ Surgery to remove my entire Thyroid, and possible Lymph Nodes.

♥ Followed by 6 weeks of an Iodine Free Diet, basically nothing containing salt (Ohh Yumm)!

♥ Then a test to determine any remaining cancer.

♥ Followed by Radiation Treatment (about 10 days of isolation because I will be Radioactive)


We really are in good spirits! Apparently if you are going to get cancer, this is the one you want!

No Chemo
No Hair Loss
No Sickness

I feel completely Blessed!

I am not so excited about surgery, the amazing scar across my neck, the diet, the weight gain, and not seeing my kids for a week or two, but as long as the cancer disappears, I AM READY!

Vince is awesome, I mean AWESOME! He is just as ready as I am to kiss this cancer goodbye. We joke a lot about it (hence the comic) and it helps to keep our spirits high.

I don't want to turn the blog into my Cancer Log, but I'll try to let you all know what's up. Thanks everyone for all the love you've sent our way, I really have never felt so loved!

Thank You ♥

9 comments:

Katherine said...

Chica you're the best! If you need me to take over your successful businesses while your recovering, you just let me know. I am a brilliant business woman! :)

Audrey said...

Angie!!! Suck-ola!!! I'm sorry! you sure do have a fantastic attitude though. You will be in my prayers.

Camille said...

I am so sorry! I have a similar pain in the neck, although not quite as severe. I've been on the thyroid roller coaster for a year or so now, and it is no fun at all. I have Hashimoto's, and have regular checkups for what you are going through right now. Dang thyroids. Who needs 'em?!

Your attitude about it is really amazing, I'm sure everything will go great. Hang in there!

Chris and Cindy said...

Hi Ang! You're going to do great... I have NO WORRIES! You are amazing. Know that we are praying for you.

I'd offer to help with the kids but I don't think I'm going to be able to take of my own!!! :) Thank goodness for our Mothers...I know I would be lost without mine!

Kimi said...

"God is watching over you, I know because I asked him to" My prayers are with you girl!

Marcie said...

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry you have to go through this. Hang in there and good luck with the next few weeks.

Fox Family said...

Angie, I'm sorry and I love ya! I also have thyroid issues, but definitely nothing as big as what you're going through. My prayers are with you. You have an awesome family and set of friends to help you through this. Good luck, if you need anything-please ask.

Nichole said...

I am so sorry and will be thinking of you and your family often. Please take care and I am sure your mom will come and take care of your beautiful children for you. Lots of love from our family to you!

mandy said...

Holy Cow girl... i haven't been blog checkin for a while and what a shocker!! I'm impressed with your high spirits. I'm glad this is the best type of cancer to get, if I can even say that?! I am also sorry for this whole experience anyways...did you know Stephanie Peterson? She found out a little while ago she had ovarian cancer and had to get the tumor/ovaries removed and is currently going through Chemo... weird that now two people from HS have cancer! You are in my prayers Ang.