Friday, August 7, 2009

Game Plan





So, I thought I was handling this whole "cancer" thing pretty well, until Wednesday.

I don' know what happened, I went to the Doctor, and fell apart! I guess the severity of it all really hit me.

He sent me for a CT Scan to check on some Lymph Nodes that are acting unusual, and sure enough, he thinks they've Caught The Cancer. So now instead of a simple Thyroidectomy, we are looking into possible Radical Neck Dissection, aka, let's remove most of Angie's neck!
I think I will spare you all the pictures I found of that on the Internet!

Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, but there is a slight chance that it will get pushed back if an emergency arises. With my luck, it will be pushed back.

Surgery Plan:

1- Get the extremely scared and anxious woman into the OR (me)

2- Take out the scary Lymph Node and give it immediately to the Pathologist who will freeze it and test it for cancer (Frozen Section).

3- Take out the Thyroid

4-If the Lymph Node tests "Positive" remove any surrounding tissues and lymph nodes (Neck Dissection). If the Node tests "Negative", stitch me up!

They will still have to run a test on the Lymph Node and it is possible that it could eventually come back as cancer, requiring another surgery, Oh Yeah!

I am completely nervous about not knowing what to expect. I could wake up with just a couple of stitches around my throat, or I could wake up with half my neck missing. I guess as long as the cancer is gone, all is well!

So until Tuesday, I am enjoying my "Last Suppers", before the big DIET!



Just a few of my favorites that I will miss dearly!

10 comments:

Nichole said...

Angie, I will be thinking of you. Please be sure and keep us updated or be sure that your dad sends an email to us all. Lots of love!

pixielegs said...

You are in our prayers... I keep meaning to call you, but I am terrible at actually caling people, so this little comment is all I've got for about a week. We love you and I will call you next week, even if I only get to have a conversation with your answering machine! :) Good luck! YOu will do awesome and just think of your new scar as an extra smile! Let me know if I can do anything for you.
~Les

Kent/Sue Adams said...

We love you and will keep you in our prayers. Keep your spirit up. You will do great. We wish we were closer to help.
Love You
Brock and Paige

Chris and Cindy said...

Good Luck Ang!!! We will be thinking of you.... I know how nerve racking surgery is...you will be fine! Once the IV is started it's all good...it's great just falling asleep!

kelley said...

Good luck Angie! We'll be praying for yall!

charm said...

Well, I've been looking up salt-free diets/recipes, and I'm plannin' on bringing you AT LEAST one meal, okay? Can't guarantee much, but I'm gonna try! Good luck, Ange. I admire you so much for your faith and positive attitude! You are my present hero!

Brittney said...

I know it is very scary but, almost everyone woman in my family has had this surgery. Half of them were cancerous the rest just humongous thyroids. They are all fine. I have been watched for years and told it is not an if but when I will have mine removed as well. I am sure you will do great. You will be in my prayers.

Denise said...

I am so sorry to hear about all of this. I was just sick for you. I am praying for you and hope all goes well.

Brad and Liz said...

Angie, I am thinking of you! I wish you lived closer so I could bring you your McDonald's - that way you wouldn't have to run out for it. :) But seriously, you will be in my prayers. I hope everything goes well. Love you!

Brittney said...

I don't know how else to contact you, I am thinking about you. I hope you see this soon. We are praying for you.