Sunday, October 4, 2009

My Pride & Joy


The freeze this week forced me outside to work in my "Garden". I use this term lightly, because it is really sad. Seriously, my huge pumpkin patch only produced 4 "okay sized" pumpkins.

Pumpkin #2 is definitely my Baby! He may only be the size of a small cantaloupe, but you can't imagine the pure joy on my face when I went outside and saw that I actually had an ORANGE pumpkin this year. Last year they were all sport'n a Summer Green.



I even made Vince carry it with "TWO HANDS!" (this is what I yelled at him), up the stairs in the backyard. I didn't want any tragedies with that beauty!

I am not quite sure where the "root" of my gardening problems is. (I crack myself up) I do blame cancer for quite a bit of this. I swore last year, that next year I would do better at getting out and cultivating my little pumpkin patch. But lo, Cancer destroyed all time and desire.

I still display my Green pumpkins on the porch, and they actually break up the monotony of the Orange quite well.

Perhaps I will say that I grow them like that on purpose.

6 comments:

charm said...

Good job, Angie!! Just leave 'em out in the sun (when it actually decides to come out again)and they should turn orange--but make sure to cover them when it freezes--. I still have a lot of half-n-halfs goin' on right now. Hopefully they'll turn the rest of the way. I guess we'll see :)

Alicia said...

I love it! I have no talent with gardens - I once even killed a cactus. How do you kill a cactus?? Anyway, so rock the green pumpkins! =) If you had told me you grow a special kind of pumpkin that comes out green, I would totally have believed you!

Marcie said...

Spray paint them.

Paige said...

I too love your little orange pumpkin and I quite like the little row you have going on. It's the little things in life. :)

Katherine said...

Don't you just love fall? Four little pumpkins for your little family of four. You can be the orange pumpkin because you have cancer (play the cancer card and you'll be sure to get almost anything you want). :)

kerstin said...

I love the green pumpkins! I think they are cute! =)

I got my straw bale at Porters for $5.00. If you go buy one put lots of garbage bags down so that you don't have straw all over. I vacuumed straw out for days. ok, so brian vacuumed it out, but still ;)