Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Lack of Tact

Some people. If you don't have something nice to say......


#1
Walmart Checker: "Oh my Gosh! How did you get that awful cut on your neck?"
Me: So many things ran through my head, but all that came out was "just surgery."

Possible Answers:
What Cut?
I was jousting with my 3 year old.
I'm a cage fighter, you should see the other girl!
What cut?
Late Night. Knife Darts.
I mouthed off to my husband again.
This is my tattoo. Cool Huh?
Got my head rolled up in a car window.
Plastic surgery to make my neck not look so fat! (This answer is partly true)

#2
Random Lady: "Can I ask you a question?"
Me: "Sure."
Lady: "Do you have Thyroid Cancer?"
Me: (Thinking, wow, somebody who doesn't think I slit my own throat) "Yes, I do."
Lady: "My Mom died of Thyroid Cancer, and my brother!"
Me: Seriously speechless.
Lady: Goes on to tell me how it killed them.
Me: Now ready to go home and slit my own throat.

COME ON PEOPLE!

#3
background: Remember me telling you about a nurse who nearly killed me with blood draws? I had my blood drawn every 5 hours for 6 days, I was totally get used to it, except for one nurse who I SWEAR stuck the needle right into the bone! It never hurt when anybody else did it. I cried (and screamed) every time she did it! I called her Barbie, she was 7 feet tall, blond, and couldn't have been more than 17 yrs old.

She comes in for the 4th time:
Barbie: "Little Poke."
Me: Cringing and waiting to be tortured.
Me: Surprised! It didn't hurt as bad.
Barbie: "Well, you are getting better at this."
Me: Ready to pull her hair out, "No, you are!"

She never came back.

#4
People: "Hey, it doesn't even look like you had surgery."

Okay, I know they are trying to be nice, but come on, now you are just lying to me.

#5
People: "At least you got the easy cancer, it's not as hard as the others."

Again, I know they are trying to be nice, but this has been HARD. I walk away feeling like a wimp.

#6 (phone call)
Nurse: "Well Mrs. Byram, it looks like insurance won't be covering your shot." (This shot is needed the day before Radiation starts)
Me: "So what do I need to do?"
Nurse: "Well, you can pay out of pocket for the shot?"
Me: "But it's $2400!"
Nurse: "Oh, it is? Let me look here. Oh, I guess it is."
Me: Am I talking to a stick?
Nurse: "Well, if you can't pay for it up front, I guess you can opt out and just not get it."
Me: "Don't I need that for Radiation?"
Nurse: "What Radiation?"
Me: not happy to be talking to a stick, "The Radiation to kill the Cancer!"
Nurse: "OH!!! YOU'RE ONE OF OUR CANCER PATIENTS!?! I will have to call you back."
Click.

COME ON LADY! Read the chart! I suppose I am happy she didn't call to tell me "Congrats! You're Pregnant!" I am starting to have some serious doubts about putting my life in the hands of some people.

#7
This has nothing to do with Cancer.
Target Checker: He looks at Brooke (her hair looked like this)
Target Checker: "I remember when my wife was working and I had to get my little girls ready for school......I could never get those darn pony tail things in the center of their heads either."

Please be honest, does it just look like I missed the center? I enjoy a good side pony every now and again, but what do people really think. These days, I just never know.

Perhaps these people were sent my way to give me something to laugh about, so Thanks, I guess.

15 comments:

The Taylor's said...

First off, I'm sorry if I have ever said any non-intentional "tacky" things. Boy...we've sure been down this road though. It's because you don't "look" sick that people say stupid stuff. We've been getting all sorts of comments regarding Rylee's hair lately like, "Wow! What happened to the hair? Did she get into the scissors?" or (because Jaden is practically bald, people decide to put two and two together) and say, "Do all of your kids get hair really late?" or "Did you cut her hair all off or does it just not grow?" Nothing is better than their faces when I say, "Well, actually she had hair, but she cancer, so it's just growing back from when she lost it from chemo." Open mouth, insert foot! I agree, SOME PEOPLE. We also get the.."Oh, my grandpa, brother, sister, etc. died of leukemia comments as well. Good thing I'm not easily offended. You should just start giving them a really good story- slit the throat, in the psych ward for years, might go balistic at any moment, so shut your mouth. And...don't even get me started on the often stupidity of the medical profession, seriously! I really hope you don't have to pay for that shot out of pocket- I'd fight your insurance company on it. AHHH-I'm so sorry for what you're experiencing.

Nichole said...

I am so sorry for you and so sorry that you have to hear so much silliness sometimes, I am sure it is painful most of the time. You have a great sense of humor, hopefully you can let it all slide and chalk it up to people being people I guess.

Abby said...

People!!!!! I tell ya they just have no respect anymore!!!! Hey.... how did you get did you get that scar on your neck? Hee hee.

Kent/Sue Adams said...

Angie- I have come to learn that people are just plain stupid! I get the dumb question about eli's massive head.. Have you had his head checked its rather large??? And I say yes, the doctor said its the stupid kids have that have the small heads! haha! Then they are the onmes that feel dumb! (Look at his dad! His head is big~) People just are not smart~Espically when it comes to billing offices..(trust me I have had my share of that too!) Try keep up the good attitude! You look great! We love you!!

Liz and John Behunin said...

I love the Vampire excuse. But I really think that you should tell them that you did it. Then they will really get uncomfortable. I'm sure my husband has made several comments that could be posted on this post. He's the one who will ask you when your due when your not even pregnant. oh that man...

Brian and April said...

People really just are so stupid sometimes.

Brittney said...

People who are well meaning are dumber than rocks, and others are just dumb.

It isn't cancer and I am in no way comparing but when I lost my babies I can not tell you the things that people said. I had to go to work the day I lost the last one (which, was two years ago today) I did my first couple of appointments then asked my boss if I could go home I told her what had happened. The first words out of her mouth, oh well it is better this way, Boston is too young and they would have been to close together in age. It had literally been 5 hours since I had passed the pregnancy.

Other told me, I should just be glad because the baby would probably have been severely deformed or handicapped, because you know, I wouldn't want them if there was something wrong with them. Some kept saying well at least you can have more. Because having more replaces the one you lost and makes you forget. I have more, you never forget. It's been two years and it still hurts. I had anesthesia yesterday and I was sobbing, the nurse asked what was wrong I was crying for my baby I lost. It brought out the ugly truth that I try to hide. There are no secrets with anesthesia. My other favorite, you weren't far enough along, it wasn't even a baby yet. Really? Have you ever read what the baby is at each stage? I had a baby, and that is not the point. Every mother is in love the minute they see the postive test. You can be one day pregnant and you are in love. So shut your stupid face.

The thing I finally learned and have to remind myself every time someone talks to me, They want to help and they don't know what to say and it usually comes out stupid. REally really almost get punched in the face stupid. But they truely mean well.

Some things there are no words for. People want to say something comforting but there is nothing to make it ok and that is why their foot goes in their mouth.

There is one thing that I found. I was seaching the church site desperate for answers and comfort. I found a passage about Christ comforting Mary after Lazeruth (sp?) dies. Christ who knows all the answers and where we go and what happens, listened to her grief and then he wept with her. No long explanations, no jumping at the chance to teach a principle. All the answers in the world don't change that we are just human, and sometimes it is just hard and all you really need is someone to cry with. I cried a lot that day. Mostly because I realized Christ cried with me, and I felt comforted.

I'm crying for you as I write this Angie. It won't just go away but you won't be alone. So many people that love you and worry about you, even when we say stupid things, but you'll make it, you have the Lord on your side and you are strong. I'm thinking of you.

Brittney said...

that was a novel, jeez. Next time tell me to shut up.

Camille said...

Hey! You are going to regret inviting me to your blog! I'm checking in on you regularly now, to see how your thyroid battle is going. I just have to say how inspirational you and your attitude are. I LOVED this post- laughed so hard I actually cried. "What cut?" Seriously!! You are awesome! Keep it up!

Karla said...

I just love #2 and #7! I laughed out loud! Ya just gotta laugh and keep going, you da best!

feefoo said...

Angie, I loved the "I rolled my head up in the car window" the best. Marcie and I were on the phone reading these together totally laughing our heads off. You may have a future in stand-up comedy. Love you, Karen

tonyandalli said...

You are funny.
Like seriously funny.
I read your blog because it brightens my day and makes me feel better.
Shouldn't it be the other way around?
You're the best- much love!

charm said...

Now I'm sitting here thinking of all the stupid things I've said... I'm so sorry if it was ever me! I really can be a dummy sometimes. At least I know you, though. I can't believe some of the things complete STRANGERS have asked! Who does that?! I'm kind of glad they did, though, cuz it's great to laugh at now! :)

mandy said...

Wow... I was laughing reading these. They are so funny. I was trying to think of one I could say to you to add to your list.. ha ha... wow... I don't care what kind of cancer you get, you are a trooper and absolutley amazing to go through any of this kind of stuff.

Cunning said...

Oh my gosh- remember how people are rediculous. I for sure would have gotten in a fight with one of them. Next time someone asks about your scar just start screaming uncontrollably loud. Oh and- love the side pony.