Sunday, July 18, 2010

She Changed My Life


Last week there was a tragic accident here in Rigby.

This sweet little Preslee fell into a canal behind her grandparents' home and drifted 2 miles downstream until a farmer who was in the canal found her. They did everything they could, and little Preslee fought hard, but after 1 week at Primary Childrens, she has returned home to her Heavenly Father.

This sweet little girl has affected my life in ways that I can only begin to describe.

I never knew her.
I've never met her parents.
But somehow, I know her.
I love them.
I feel like she was one of my own.

I've shed more tears this past week than I have my entire life. I believe the entire town has. I don't know if it is because Brooke is her same age, or if it because they live so close, or if I feel that it could have happened to any of us. I can't sleep at night because I am constantly praying for her mother, Ashley, to feel peace.

I feel guilty.
I haven't been the mother that my kids deserve.
And yet I get to hug and kiss them everyday.
And Ashley will have to wait to hold her little girl again.
It's not fair.

Sweet little Preslee accomplished quite a bit in one short week.
She didn't even have to open her eyes to change hundreds of lives.
Read the comments on her parents blog and you will see what I mean.

She changed my life.

I've been selfish.
I am always caught up in what I am doing, and often forget who needs me the most.
Not my sewing,
not my workout,
not my store,
but the kids building block towers in the family room.

Tomorrow when Jack says,
"Mommy look at me!"
I will.
I will drop everything that is not important, and run to him.

I will be the mom that my kids deserve.

That sweet little girl touched my heart.
She made me realize that my children are NEVER bugging me, they are loving me.
I am holding them a little tighter tonight.
And will forever.
All because of one amazing little girl.

I've been wanting to write about this all week. I am not good with words. I finally worked up the courage to share my feelings tonight.

If you take anything away from this post,
I hope you hold your angels a little closer tonight.





9 comments:

Karla said...

Amen.

taggdarci said...

You couldn't have put that any better! I too have been affected by them, my heart aches for them! Thanks for posting!

Kasha said...

I totally agree! Your words were so touching, thanks! Such a sad trial for the Sullengers.

Liz and John Behunin said...

So true, so true.

Erika said...

so sad but way to put it into words. we are so blessed - its amazing.

Marcie said...

My friend went through the same thing only months ago with her little boy the same age (it was a bathtub drowning). When I read through Ashley's blog I was surprised to discover that my friend's husband (Matt Staker) heard about them and stopped by the hospital to talk to them since he knew he could give them support like no on else. Crazy.

Miraculously, the Staker's little boy survived. So very sad that this family didn't get the same second chance.

It changed me too. Makes you grateful for every second with your little ones.

Grossarths said...

Its amazing how a complete little stranger can truly change how you think about life. I will also re-think my priorities with my kids!

Kent/Sue Adams said...

I agree with every word you said. I try a little harder now to appreciate more of the simple things that make them happy! And I try listen to them a but more. And kiss them as much as I can. This to has changed my life for the better. I am so glad they have the gospel and will return with her again.

Ethnie said...

You said it beautifully. And I needed that little reminder as I am starting on the adventure of being a mother of two. I will hold them a little closer tonight!