Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Panic Attack

This morning we lost Brookelle. Seriously, lost her! I fed her breakfast, got her out of her chair, and I went in to the office to work. I had been in there about 10 minutes and she hadn't come in to whine to me, which is strange. So I thought I better see what the kids were up to.


I walk out into the family room where Jack was reading a book.

"Where's Brookie?"

"I don't know, maybe she left." (his current response to every question)

I start looking through the kitchen, the family room and all the bedrooms. No Brookie.

Jack joins the search. We walked around screaming for Brookie.

I start to panic. Brookie can get into trouble in a split second, so I was really worried. I peek in the bedrooms again, even looking in the closets. I check the bath tubs, and thank my lucky stars she wasn't in them.

Vince calls and I tell him that I can't talk because I lost Brookelle. He seriously starts laughing at me because how can I lose a child who can't even open doors! By this point I am in tears.

Jack is really worried seeing my response, and says "Mommy, I will get her."

"Where is she?"

"In her room."

"No she isn't Jack, I already looked in there."

"Yes, she is."

"No she isn't."

Then I realize, why am I fighting with my 3 year old. I walk into Brooke's room, no Brooke.

I am about to walk out of the room, and then I see her.


Wadded up in a ball, asleep on her rocking chair.

She has been teething FOREVER, and hasn't slept at all the past few weeks. And I guess she decided since she couldn't get into the crib, this was the next best place for a quick snooze.

I can't believe she fell asleep 30 minutes after waking up!
I can't believe she didn't wake up when we were screaming her name!
I can't believe I was dumb enough to not see her in there. (I even looked in those closets right next to her)
And the best part of this whole story, is that Jack knew exactly where she was, and still walked around searching with me, because in his words,

"That was fun! Let's find Brookie again!"

11 comments:

Abby said...

That is the most adorable picture! I love sleepy children in jammies!!! I want to come visit

Kent/Sue Adams said...

Oh Too Cute! That is funny about Jack! He cracks me up!!

Ethnie said...

I will have to keep this story in mind. I know you were probably terrified and had some pretty scary visions of what could have happened to her, but I have to say it was a pretty funny story. Cute kids!

kerstin said...

Jack is too funny! I wish my girls would go back to sleep after just waking up! Anne is cranky all the time right now and she's not even teething. :)

Liz and John Behunin said...

So cute, one night I couln't find Sis. I looked every where and started to panic, I found her underneath my bed. She was Brooke's age. You know, I don't want to scare you but I think Brooke is starting to remind me of I little girl that I know very well. Ohh, trouble.

Paige said...

oh that's funny! (I can say that now that you found her and she's okay, right?) I mean that has to be a horrible feeling when you think the worst has happened but kind of funny you looked in her room and didn't see here there. Glad she was just happily asleep. :)

Andrea said...

So funny! I love that Jack joined in the search, such a good brother!

Kimi said...

yeah, my parents could sympathize with you. I figured out how to get on top of the fridge and fall asleep. they spent a couple hours looking for me until I woke up and started crying to get down.

Chris and Cindy said...

I LOVE Jack... that is too funny! We need to get together sometime!!

Denise said...

I am seriously laughing hard. I love that you didn't see her and that Jack knew where she was the entire time.

mandy said...

Geez...that would have been scary. Funny Jack! I would have freaked out, that's for sure!